Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Bullying 101

provided by Google

One of the worst things to experience throughout your life time is the experience of being bullied. I know from my own personal experience that being bullied makes life 10x harder. You get this feeling like you’re all alone and the world is just out to constantly get you. Today, bullying has gotten so serious, and continues to be an even bigger problem anyway you go.

                I’m going to start off by bringing you back to the time when I experienced bullying up close. It was the beginning of the winter months because I remember there was lots of snow on the ground. 3rd grade was going so easy for me. I was getting good grades, had a great group of friends, and I thought everybody loved me just because I was so sweet and caring to anyone. But, the key word in that sentence was thought. There was actually a group of boys, I would say about 8 or so, would constantly be picking on me, teasing me, and sometimes even physically hurting me all during the 20 minute recess time. Every chance that they got, they would continue to harass me. For a whole month, I felt like I was just some puppet and they were the controllers that wouldn’t let me have a break. With the school board finally getting involved, I could go back to living my happy, normal life.

                Bullying today is found to be a lot different than what I experienced back in elementary school. Especially in the halls of high school, there’s more violence that is involved. I think teachers should keep a more open eye on the students and what’s happening throughout the halls. I’m not saying all teachers, but a handful of them, probably don’t even notice some of the violence going on throughout our halls or even what’s posted on social media. If teachers want to see more students succeed, they should open their eyes more and see what really happens in halls and the outside world.

provided by Google
Parents can also be really clueless when it comes to knowing if their child is being bullied or not. Usually it’s not even the parents’ fault; usually the kids are scared to get an adult involved. I know for a fact that I was terrified to tell my parents because I thought I would get bullied even more because I was a tattle tale. But actually, if you don’t get an adult involved, then the bullying will never go away.

Another situation of how bullying has effected loved ones I know would be how the past few years, my younger sister and some of her friends have been getting bullied by this guy that was in a few of her classes. She thought it would eventually go away, but instead it started to get worse and worse until the point where she didn’t even want to come to school anymore. She told a few people, but she didn’t want to tell my parents because she didn’t want the bully to come after her more. Eventually, it got to the point where she had to tell my parents which then got the school principal involved. Slowly the bullying started to come to a stop all thanks for informing an adult.

My sister’s experience is a great example of why we need/should tell someone who has more authority over students like my parents or the principal did when it came to my sister and her friends. If someone you know is getting bullied, get an adult involved right away so they can put the bullying to a stop. If you’re a bystander, don’t be afraid to get up and stand up for the person being bullied. One of the best things to help someone who is getting harassed or bullied is to just be there friend and be there for them. Bullies’ jobs are to make the victims feel all alone and like there’s no way they can be helped. But actually, there are so many different ways to help prevent and stop bullying from continuing throughout schools.

                Sadly bullying can lead to some pretty intense things. On social media you see so many posts about bullying and how extreme it can be. Some students even have taken their own life because of bullying. You never realized how serious this truly could get until your own school has lost a student to suicide because of bullying. Earlier this spring, my own high school lost a freshman girl because she wanted to be gone from all that pain that the bully caused her. She had so much to look forward to in her life like having her father walk her down the aisle, or even graduation, but sadly she won’t be able to experience any of those things because the bullying got too far. We sure do miss her like crazy, but at least she’s bully free now and can actually be happy for once.

provided byGoogle
What does it take for us to stop and realize that bullying has become such a huge issue lately? Do we really need another suicide in our society to get the point across that we need to grow up and not bully others anymore? Bullying is so childish, but sadly some don’t know how to grow up. But, you can take a stand and not bully anyone yourself or help others out who are the victims. Bullies want to succeed in making you feel worthless; just know that you are better than the bully, and with your mindset like that, you can overcome anything. Just like what Ellen DeGeneres’ says at the end of every show, “Be kind to one another!”

No comments:

Post a Comment