Sunday, April 10, 2016

Soliders fighting for our freedom


Once every year my school has the honor to have three Vietnam Vets come in and talk to students of their own personal experience of fighting in the Vietnam War. Earlier this week, not only did I get the chance to listen and ask questions about their story, but I also got the privilege to shake all three of their hands. Especially with Vietnam Vets, they love it when the youth from today goes up and shakes their hand and thanks them for their service. Not only did it make me feel great on the inside, but it also gave the Vets a pretty awesome smile upon their faces.

My dads in his uniform
                We all probably know someone who has or still is serving for our country. I personal have quite a handful of relatives that has served or continues to serve today. Both of my grandpas served for our country when they were in their twenties. My mom’s dad was part of Marine Military Branch and fought in the Korean War for about two years while my dad’s dad was part of the South Dakota National Guard for 35 years. On my mom’s side, I have 1 or 2 uncles and a few cousins that has connections with serving for our country.

                One thing that I love seeing is videos of soldiers coming home and surprising their families. No matter how they surprised their family, it’s still very heart warming and sometimes leads to tears. I’ve never actually experienced a soldier’s homecoming personally, but one of my favorite teachers from middle school has. A couple years ago around Christmas time, it would have been the first Christmas where her husband could not have been there with her family. Already having all this planned out, the news station wanted to interview my teacher about being a “single parent” for the holidays. When the news station got to their house, they said that they had a present for everyone that could help them get through the holidays. And, out popped her husband!

                Today’s generation a lot more people, especially the youth, want to serve for our country. For several reasons actually; maybe because they had relatives that served, they love working with weapons, to have the honor of fighting for our country, maybe even to help pay for college later down the road; there are so many reasons why people today want to go into the military including my own sister. When she graduates she wants to actually go overseas and fight for the freedom of our country. I know I could never handle how strict and cruel they are to you just within the boot camp, but I know my sister can take anything that is thrown at her or that gets in her way.

The Vets saluting my grandpa's casket
                If you ever attended a funeral of a soldier or a veteran, you can definitely agree with me that it’s one of the saddest things ever. When both of my grandpas died, their funerals weren’t like typically funerals; they both had special things that you only get if you serve for our country. The family of the soldier/vet can decide what military things can be part of the funeral. One of the common things that occurs at a funeral is the 21 Gun Salute. 7 soldiers shooting off three times is when the tears definitely come out. One thing that I really liked about one of my grandpa’s was the way and the view of how he was carried into the church. There were about 6 vets, all from the Marines that was close to his age, on both sides and they were saluting the casket while it was being brought into the church.

Another tradition that is performed at a vet’s funeral is a soldier folds up an American flag and hands it off to the living spouse to keep within their household. For both of my grandpas’ funerals, it was hard to see the solider hand off the flag to my grandma. Now both folded up flags are hanging on my grandmas’ wall with pride and in remembrance of my grandpas and their service.

If it weren’t for soldiers and the risks they took, our country would not have as much freedom as we do today. I challenge you next time you see a soldier in uniform or not, go up to them and shake their hand. If you don’t feel comfortable shaking their hand, maybe start with something small like thanking them for their service! Not only will it make your day, but it most likely will make theirs as well!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment