Saturday, October 03, 2015

What's Brown and Sticky?


               If you ever had braces, you could totally relate to this situation: Right after you got your braces on, your orthodontist tells you all the things you can and can’t have while these new train tracks are on your teeth. You try to stick to the guidelines, but after the first couple days you give up and eat things that they don’t really recommend. For me when I had braces 3 years ago, I was one of THOSE kids that bended the rules and had things that were on the “NOT” list. The only exception would be when it came to the “No caramel” rule. I had heard so many terrible experiences dealing with chewing caramel and tearing out bracelets. I was terrified to have caramel with my braces because of how sticky they really all and what they could do to my braces. Trust me, it killed me how I couldn’t have any type of caramel because of my braces. That included regular cubed caramel candies (or any other caramel candies), any type of caramel dip, and my favorite Caramel Apples.

               One of the most common dips for a party appetizer is any type of a caramel dip. Caramel makes a great topping for anything that has a “sweet” taste to it. Not only in appetizers, but you can find caramel with anything now a days. From caramel apples, to different types of caramel candies, to caramel dips, even to an ice cream topping; caramel goes good with everything. Caramel has expanded their use from the past few years.

               Every year around the holidays, my grandma’s side gets to together for a little holiday/ reunion party. I remember when I was younger; it has always been a tradition for someone in the family to bring these candies that were called “Caramel Wrapped Marshmallows”. They were the best thing ever! They were little cubed caramels with a marshmallow filling on the inside. They were such a big hit in the family that now; it wouldn’t be a reunion without them.

               One of the best combinations with caramel is mixing it with treats that could be used as desserts. You can mix it with any brownie or cake batter to make in even more delicious. Some of the most common candy bars have caramel in them including Milky Wars, Twix, Snickers, a small thing of caramel is in 3 Musketeers, and so many more. A lot of bakeries are adding caramel to their cookies either by mixing it in with the rest of the ingredients, or drizzling it overtop as a topping.

               Caramel is such a sweet and delicious little treat that can make anything else even tastier. You know what they say: 1 delicious thing plus another delicious thing equals an unforgettable treat!
word count: 463

No comments:

Post a Comment