Sunday, January 03, 2016

Red and White Strips can Always be Found


            Every Christmas my family spends practically the entire break at my grandma’s house. This year, about an hour or so after we got there my sister noticed something was missing from my grandma’s Christmas tree; her candy canes. She always hangs at least ten to fifteen up for people (mostly the cousins) to grab during the season. Her tree just felt so boring and naked without all the different kinds of candy canes hanging from it. From blue ones, to green ones, to even the original ones, it seems like there are always more candy canes on her tree than ornaments. This year, there was definitely more decorations than candy canes.

               Candy canes are a huge part of the Christmas season. I see them wherever I go; not just the candies itself but also the plastic ones for decorations only. Every year when my family goes to visit and get a picture with Santa in the mall, we always see these giant plastic candy canes near the front of the line just to give “Santa’s Workshop area” more of a Christmas feeling. You see people all the time putting up decorations with something to do with candy canes or even the colors red and white. At my house we have these window stickers that we put up every year, and let me just tell you; we have at least two candy canes for the windows. They are everywhere especially during the holiday season.

               The things candy canes are mostly known for are its peppermint taste! The taste of the strong candy gives me the chills every time I take a bite of one. Now days, they are making more candy canes that have different flavors including a Starbursts and Sour Patch Kids. I’m not saying that those kinds aren’t any good (trust me they’re really good); I’m just saying that they should stick to the peppermint kind because that’s what it’s known for is the strong peppermint flavor.

               One thing that goes good with candy canes are dipping or even crushing them into your coffee or hot chocolate. Not only does it give it a strong kick to it, but it also gets you ready for the winter months. Whenever I have the chance, I always let a candy cane melt in my hot coco until the entire flavor is gone.

               Candy canes have been around for several decades, and they just continue to get better and better as the days go by. I challenge you to try to find one house or even one Christmas without seeing or using candy canes! It’s incredibly impossible!

No comments:

Post a Comment